This Florida Workplace Drug & Alcohol Testing Laws course provides private employers and interested employees in Florida a summary of the current law in Florida as it relates to drug and alcohol testing. The course has been designed for the benefit of both legal and non-legal professionals. We have attempted to improve readability by avoiding “legalese” whenever possible and by keeping the important points clear and concise.
Florida drug and alcohol workplace testing laws generally favor a reasonable employer. Florida’s at-will employment law gives employers a great deal of discretion when it comes to hiring and firing their employees. This means that employers in Florida, by default, have nearly limitless discretion on whether to adopt a policy and if so, how to adopt the rules for their drug-free workplace program.
However, employers who wish to qualify for discounts on their workers’ compensation premiums have the option to opt-in to the voluntary drug-free workplace program under the Workers’ Compensation Statute, Fla. Stat. §440.102. Complying with this statute will narrow the options of the employer on how to conduct the company drug-free workplace policy, but in return allows employers who do adopt the program a 5% discount credit on Workers’ Compensation premiums.
This course will cover important topics such as:
1. What type of testing is allowed in Florida;
2. The benefits and drawbacks of implementing a testing policy including relevant insurance discounts and how to qualify;
3. Some of the observed dangers and pitfalls other employers have encountered through relevant case law; and
4. The current status of state marijuana laws and their current effects on the implementation of workplace testing programs.
Whether you are a small business owner, an interested employee, corporate counsel, or the VP of Human Resources for a Fortune 500 company, this course offers you valuable insight into private employers’ options and restrictions under Florida workplace drug and alcohol testing laws. Learn how courts are interpreting key provisions Florida in the Statutes and the Florida Constitution to make more informed workplace testing decisions going forward.
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Determine the workplace testing options afforded to private employers in Florida;
2. Determine the restrictions on workplace testing for private employers in Florida; and
3. Demonstrate an understanding of key workplace testing concepts particular to Florida.
This course includes formal assessment techniques including quantitative strategies. Course exams utilizing a number of random questions taken from a larger question pool assess the understanding of key terms and concepts within the curriculum.
Students will need access to a computer with reliable internet access. The computer must be able to play video. Our videos are optimized for FlashPlayer.
This course is self-paced and does not expire. This course may take longer or shorter to complete depending on student pace, reading, and comprehension level. The average time to complete this course is one hour.