Returning from lunch you see that you have three missed calls. You call them back and find out that they are passengers who report an incident that occurred with one of your drivers. They each recount the incident similarly:
The bus arrived at the 2nd Street stop where two passengers boarded using the rear entry and two passengers exited from the front exit. The second passenger to exit attempted to retrieve her bicycle from the storage rack on the front of the bus, but the driver accelerated before she could retrieve it. The passenger jumped back to avoid injury and scuffed her knee on the corner of the bus and her elbow on the pavement. The bus driver did not stop. One passenger indicates that he heard the driver chuckle while accelerating and that he thought the driver smelled like booze. The driver denies that he knew the incident occurred, but did admit that there was an unclaimed bicycle still on his rack.
What do you do? Do you know where to find the answer?
Can you order a drug or alcohol test?
What if a supervisor witnessed the incident on camera?
What if the passenger was seriously injured? Killed?
In this DER training course geared toward FTA-regulated employers you will learn everything you need to know to become a DER including:
- What it means to be a DER;
- The roles and responsibilities of a DER;
- The requirements for a DOT Program under your specified agency;
- How to manage a drug and alcohol-free workplace program for DOT covered employees;
- The drug and alcohol testing process and how to handle problems in testing;
- Which regulations apply to your company and how to stay in compliance;
- How to select and monitor service agents;
- Training requirements for employees and supervisors;
- Which records must be kept and for how long; and
- Best practices to avoid a poor audit result.
You will also receive resources, reference materials, and helpful guides to help you while becoming a successful Designated Employer Representative.
If you have any questions please call 1-888-390-5574 or send an email to email@example.com
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE?
- A comprehensive online training program consisting of videos, documents, resources, and PowerPoints
- Online exam
- Same-day certificate issuance (printable online)
- Successful Designated Employer Representative (DER) students will be able to manage a drug and alcohol free workplace policy within their organization including providing the necessary training to employees and making determinations of when to test and when a refusal should be determined.
- Successful students will be able to express an understanding of industry terms and the protocols involved with the DOT and FTA regulations by completing an online quiz with 75% or greater proficiency.
HOW IS STUDENT PROFICIENCY ASSESSED?
This course includes formal assessment techniques with quantitative strategies. Course exams utilizing a number of random questions taken from a larger question pool assess the understanding of key terms and concepts within the curriculum as well as the learner’s preparedness for a variety of real-world scenarios.
THIS COURSE PACKAGE IS PERFECT FOR
- Human Resource Professionals
- Human Resource Managers
- Business Owners
- Safety Officers
- Fleet Supervisors
- Site Supervisors
- Compliance Officers
WHY SHOULD I TAKE THIS COURSE PACKAGE?
- The United States Department of Transportation requires that covered organizations designate one individual with the responsibility to make formal decisions regarding the drug and alcohol testing program. This person is called the Designated Employer Representative and she is tasked with a need for intimate familiarity with the applicable regulations in order to ensure that her decisions comply with federal law. This course will prepare the DER to fulfill this role with all of the knowledge and tools necessary to perform this function proficiently.
- Trained DERs are more likely to avoid making costly mistakes resulting in fines, penalties, and/or employee lawsuits,
- Work at your own pace: whether you are starting your own business or enhancing an existing career in the industry, time is hard to come by. Work on your time and at your own pace.
MATERIALS NECESSARY FOR COURSE COMPLETION
Students will need access to a computer with reliable internet access. The computer must be able to play video. Our videos are optimized for FlashPlayer.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO COMPLETE THIS COURSE ?
This course may take longer or shorter to complete depending on student pace, reading, and comprehension level. Here is a breakdown of the average time for this course:
- DER Training Course for FTA (2 hours)