Employers who are either required to make reasonable suspicion determinations to test under federal or state regulations or are permitted to under state regulations should train their supervisors to make those determinations. Training must cover the specific, contemporaneous physical, behavioral, and performance indicators of probable drug and alcohol use.
Employers with employees covered by federal Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations must abide by the following agency mandates:
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) – 49 CFR Part 382
- Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) – 49 CFR Part 219
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) – 14 CFR Part 121
- Federal Transit Administration (FTA) – 49 CFR Part 655
- Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) – 49 CFR Part 199
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) – 46 CFR Parts 4, 5, and 16